Sunday, 27 November 2011

Rockin' Robin

I had one of those longed-for days on Friday where I had the whole day at my disposal for sewing. So I put the time to good use by getting stock ready for my stall next weekend.

I have some felt decorations already made, but wanted to try my hand at some robins too, especially as I still had some lovely fabric left over from a bundle from Fabric Rehab.

The Demonic Pincushion was my first attempt at a robin, using a pattern from a magazine. I didn't think it really worked as a tree decoration, and anyway the pattern was not for commercial use. However I did like the fabric combination I had chosen so I set out to make my own simple pattern. The robin is stuffed with a little polyester toy stuffing and decorated with a yellow felt beak and sequins for eyes.

I was initially a little concerned that the bird was looking a little more chicken-like than robin, but once the stuffing was in I was much more happy with the result. Once satisfied with the prototype I set up a bit of a production line to make a little batch for the stall.  Doing each stage in one go (i.e. cutting fabric for 10 robins, then doing all the pinning, then the sewing etc) does make the process a lot quicker than making one item at a time.  There was a bit of hand-stitching at the end to close up the seam, as well as adding the sequins.

My stock list for the stall currently looks like this: felt decorations, patchwork stockings, fabric robins, little pudding badges, mini bags and shopping bags, purses in varying sizes and a few retro-style aprons. Should be enough to fill my section of the table.

Now I just have to get my act together and bulk buy mince pies and mulled wine for our hordes of hungry punters...

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely. Great choice of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dilly, I could spend a fortune at Fabric Rehab...

    ReplyDelete