Sunday, 8 January 2012

Wonky Patchwork

Accuracy is pretty important when you're doing patchwork, both in cutting fabric and sewing the seams. Not really my strong point, but after a bit of jiggery pokery (Mr Seam-Ripper was much in evidence) and quite a lot of huffing and puffing over the past few days I managed to get the rainbow panels for my daughter's quilt finished.

Initially I planned to have six panels all orientated the same way, but when I'd finished the first four and laid them out I liked the starburst pattern that they made. So with the remaining two panels I decided to split them in half to make the quilt more balanced.

I have an old white cotton sheet that has gone thin in the middle that I'm planning to use for borders between the panels and around the edges. The panels will probably be a little wider spaced than in this photo.

I'm writing this post with an extremely full belly after Sunday lunch. I may get chance to do a little bit of sewing this afternoon, but that depends on how co-operative my threenager is being. Now that her afternoon nap appears to be consigned to history I either do stuff in the evenings or try and get things done while she plays in the sewing room. Currently Muck and Scoop from Bob the Builder are shovelling the contents of my button jar. Sometimes this works OK, but things can get a little fraught when pins, sharp scissors and hot irons are involved...

3 comments:

  1. This is lovely! Almost (but not quite) inspires me to do some patchwork again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be a beautiful rainbow quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you :) It has been the cause of quite a lot of swearing this weekend, but is starting to come together...

    ReplyDelete