advent calendar front. I've nearly finished the backing sheet, just have a few more buttons to sew on, and have made a start on the little decorations. The first three are shown here, I have another seven done, so still a way to go before I'm finished. Something tells me I may spend a few evenings during advent frantically sewing to have one ready for the next day.
I'm just using these three colours for the decorations, keeping the design simple... and it was also the colours of felt that I had in my stash. Each decoration is cut out of a doubled over piece of felt - I made myself a pattern for the star but the baubles are freehand so a little more 'organic' in their form (or skew-whiff if you're being uncharitable). I then use a few stitches to secure the hanging ribbon on to the back piece of the decoration, and embroider the number onto the front piece. I then used blanket stitch to join the two pieces together. As suspected, I am cussing slightly for committing to blanket stitch rather than a much less labour intensive running stitch, but I do think they look rather lovely.
And I'm getting quite good at blanket stitch now... If you fancy having a try, this tutorial on Cherry Menlove's blog gives step by step instructions.
I didn't manage any stitching or blogging this weekend as we were hosting a bit of a family shindig. Roast dinner for a table of eleven was served up to an appreciative audience. It was an emergency chairs and bedsheet for a tablecloth type of occasion - I love that sort of thing! Just great to have so many of us around the table.
The weekend also saw the tasting of the first of the carrot chutney that I made a couple of weeks ago. I'll share the recipe on here when I get a chance. Ta ta for now.